The difference a number makes

There are two shortcuts in Firefox that are too close for comfort:

I use the latter more often than the former. However, I’ve missed the F5 key on a number of occasions, finding that the tab has disappeared rather than seeing it refreshed.

The two F-ing keys are frustratingly close to one another.

By Dan on 18 December, 2006 · Posted in Numbers and stuff, Tech stuff

7 Comments | Post Comment

Lucy says:

hmmm, it is all about pressing the right buttons Dan, I am sure you know that? Sorry i have been away for a while, miss me? Either way, I am back just in time to wish you a very Merry Christmas.

Posted on December 18th, 2006

Rob - dtr says:

If Ctrl+F4 is causing issues then I would prescribe Firefox 2.x and Ctrl-Shift-T (Windows) or Cmd-Shift-T (Mac)

Posted on December 19th, 2006

Dan says:

Thanks for this, Rob. But the CTRL+F4 shortcut also exists in FF 2.x. (It happens to be duplcated with CTRL+SHIFT+T.)

I think I’ll have to live with it…

Posted on December 19th, 2006

Rob says:

Use CTRL+SHIFT+R for hard refresh like any sane person would. Who remembers F keys anyhow?

Posted on December 20th, 2006

Dan says:

Yeah. Why use two keys when you can use three?

Posted on December 20th, 2006

elise says:

lazy git (dan).

i’m with Rob, Control+Shift+R has been around since the ‘naissance’ of netscape. the function keys are spaced and placed differently according to keyboard, so easier to stick with something more consistent.

however, if none of these suggestions tickle your fancy, i can highly recommend using the Keyconfig built into Firefox (Tools > Keyconfig… or Ctrl+Shift+F12). you can edit or disable any existing key configuration for the browser. so, disable the Ctrl+F4, and stick to Ctrl+w or reassign a different key(s) for closing tabs.

i myself disabled the ‘backspace’ key from navigating a page back, as it often led to me navigating away from a form field (such as this one) when all i meant to do was delete something.

HTH
p.s. i think my keyconfig suggestion trumps the rest.

Posted on December 21st, 2006

Dan says:

As well as disabling the backspace key, it seems you’ve also disabled the shift key when used at the start of a sentence 😉

Happy holidays!