Ken Dodd’s still alive

I found this out today. His name came up in conversation, but I’ve forgotten in what context.

Anyway, I was surprised to hear that Ken Dodd is indeed still alive. Well, apparently he is. Not sure why, but I’d assumed he was dead. I particularly enjoyed this excerpt from his Wikipedia entry.

Kenneth Arthur Dodd OBE (born 8 November 1927, in Knotty Ash, Liverpool) is a veteran English comedian and singer, famous for selling over 100 million records, his buck teeth, frizzy hair, feather duster (or "tickling stick"), and his catchphrases, often playing on the ‘tickled’ motif, e.g. "How tickled I am!".

Comments

8 Responses to “Ken Dodd’s still alive”

1. Steve on January 8th, 2007 21:51

Yep, sadly Ken is still very much with us. Unlike most of his gags which died a lonely death back in 1978.

You can guarantee that when he does throw a seven though, there’ll be a glut of fat old comedians like Frank “It’s a cracker!” Carson and Jimmy “Ha-ho!” Tarbuck singing his buck-toothed praises and and lamenting the passing of a golden age of comedy when you could asphixiate yourself nightly in smoky working men’s clubs and poke fun at ethnic minorities for a living. They can probably just re-hash the same “King of Comedy” phrases from when Bob Monkhouse died. Expect a documentary every few months for the next ten or fifteen years as the old school gradually wither away…

2. Chris Chant on January 14th, 2007 01:16

Famous also for his dealings with your current employer

3. Dave on November 11th, 2007 23:24

Sorry that not every matches up to your standards.

Personally, I’ve laughed until I’ve cried at some of Mr. Dodd’s one-liners, and whilst I was never much of a fan of Bob Monkhouse, both gentlemen were consummate professionals and giants in their field.

Oh, and you can’t spell “ashpyxiate” either!

4. Lids on November 12th, 2007 04:01

…..er Dave do you mean “asphyxiate”?! How tickled I am.

5. ms .Ann Wood on November 13th, 2007 03:46

Strange to relate Ken dodd does not rely on cheap reaist or sexist humour . If the previous correspondants had taken the trouble to go and see him live,they would understand why theatre critics like Michael Billington ,playwrites like Peter Nichols and actors and theatre directors like Trevor Nunn rate him so highly. Mr Dodd combines surrealism ,intellegence ,humour and kindness in his performances ,in a way unknown to some of the earlier correspondants of this thread . As a theatre lover ,I commend him to you. He is pure theatre ,an extraordinary performance -twice a week aged 80.

6. Ms A. Wood on November 13th, 2007 03:51

sorry,hit the button before checking the odd typo.

7. Steve on November 15th, 2007 22:03

Come on people, it’s called humour…

“Nice to see such humankindness as shown in the phrase “sadly Ken is still very much with us”, Steve.”
    Yes indeedy – equally nice to see that the slower-witted and comedically-challenged individuals among us are allowed to use computers.

Look, I don’t doubt Doddy’s ability to entertain, and name dropping Michael Billington and Trevor Nunn to convince me of his worth is unecessary (though Ann, on what you wrote I’m inclined to value your opinion). It’s a question of taste. I tell you, if I had a quid for every time somebody on telly (or on this blog) waxed lyrical about his longevity or ability to reel off lengthy shows and ‘hardest-working man in showbusiness’ tales, I reckon I’d have about, ooh… 34 pounds by now.

Ken and Bob may well have been “consummate professionals” but this is hardly a pre-requisite for mirth. The man who fixes the photocopier I sit next to is a “consummate professional” (what he can’t tell you about toner cartridges isn’t worth knowing), but he doesn’t make me laugh.

I confess to never having seen Ken Dodd tread the boards (and I too, love the theatre), though the reason for this is because my multitude of televisual experiences of him don’t inspire me to check the listings. This is for no other reason that I find his humour of a dated style and content unlikely to tickle my funny bone. And a joke about his death (despite death being a comedy staple through the ages) seems not to have tickled other people’s. C’est la vie.

Horses for courses, people. Horses for courses…

8. stephen main on February 28th, 2009 08:42

At least Mr. Dodd,cited a run on the British Bankig System at his tial tweny years ago,as part of his defence.in relation to allegations of tax evasion.a man with foresight as well comic geneous