Tube smiling

Yesterday, Anna defined the seven types of Tube/train smile. I experienced two further types on my southbound Northern Line journey home tonight, taking the total to nine.

The "Ah, finally! smile"

This is usually a reciprocal smile given after an event has taken place before which there was an inordinate delay. This could be an announcement about the reason for a delay, or as in today’s scenario, the Tube train finally moving after being stuck mid-tunnel for ten minutes or so. Myself and a female commuter gave each other a wry smile which said "ah, finally".

The "I’m listening to a great track, outward enjoyment" smile.

This smile, sported by myself, lasted four minutes and six seconds this evening, the entire duration of Dexy’s Midnight Runners’ Come On Eileen. I think I’m quite rare in my outward display of musical enjoyment.

Comments

6 Responses to “Tube smiling”

1. Art Vandelay on February 13th, 2007 07:47

what about the ‘I’m only here thanks to Care in the Community’ smile?

2. Steve on February 13th, 2007 21:30

I’ve mellowed in my old age and am not in the habit of venting my spleen at others’ tastes in music, but anyone enjoying Come On Eileen by Dexy’s Midnight Runners (a song that requires my toes to be surgically uncurled) deserves to have their smile removed with Victorian dental instruments.

I rank it alongside the Blind Date theme tune and Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf as one of the few songs I can’t be in the same room as, let alone a Tube carriage.

In such circumstances fellow passengers might even glimpse a “I’m enjoying the fact that I’m physically damaging someone because he’s listening to Come On Eileen by Dexy’s Midnight Runners” smile.

It’s a bit rarer than the others but equally valid. If only to me.

3. Art Vandelay on February 14th, 2007 02:37

I chose to overlook that. And this from the guy who criticises Hey Jude.

4. Rob on February 14th, 2007 06:51

Ah… thankyou for reminding us what a dire place to work London is. Stuck in a tunnel for 10 mins? What a backwards place the UK is. Don’t tell me, fares are up, service is down, people are moaning yet have no option? You could always emigrate to solve that last one 😉

Oh, also, DMR?! Someone needs to hack your iTunes and make some changes me thinks.

5. Dan on February 14th, 2007 07:16

Ah, yes. Racist Australia. Can’t wait. Good move by John H. on barracking Obama the other day, btw. What an ass…

6. Art Vandelay on February 15th, 2007 22:44

If London is so bad why does everyone want to live here? I’d love to know how you define backwards too, but suspect you are a simpleton.