Much anticipated lines in Simon & Garfunkel’s Mrs. Robinson

There are three lines in Simon and Garfunkel’s Mrs. Robinson for which my ears can hardly wait. They’re crying out for the lines to arrive, each of which brings unbridled, somewhat inexplicable joy. They are, in playing order:

I hope the lines are similarly enjoyable for others.

Comments

6 Responses to “Much anticipated lines in Simon & Garfunkel’s Mrs. Robinson”

1. Jon on August 29th, 2007 10:23

Dan,

You are one of the weirdest people I know – and I mean that as a compliment.

Jon

2. Steve on August 29th, 2007 20:22

I’m particularly fond of the following exceedingly lengthy line in The Boxer, which Paul manages to somehow slip effortlessly into the metre of the song without it ever sounding clunky:

“In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade and he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down or cut him til he cried out in his anger and his shame.”

I also like the cup-cake line though.

3. Nick Robinson on August 29th, 2007 23:56

My first guitar songbook (bought a long time ago at age 15) was Simon & Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits. Like most guitar songbooks it had chord charts with lyrics underneath but I especially liked how they’d written out ALL the Hmm, Hmmm, Hmmm, lie-la-lie, hey hey hey bits – that’s poetry.

4. Shanahan on August 31st, 2007 01:41

What did I just read? You are a strange fellow. But better to be strange than boring.

I actually think my ears are waiting more for the music BETWEEN the lyrics than the lyrics themselves. Example is Kodachrome. I wait for the dum-dum-dumma dum-dum dum-dum bit and the words are just gravy.

5. Andy on August 31st, 2007 03:42

Why not just edit down the song to those three lines and then loop them to your heart’s content? All of the pleasure with none of that oh-so-interminable ‘waiting’

Andy

ps You tit.

6. Dan on August 31st, 2007 07:40

Oh god, no. If you had your favourite meal every night, it would no longer be your favourite meal. And besides, the eager anticipation is part of the fun!

How are you, Andy?