Angry Dan

I’m watching a fabulous documentary this evening about anger, being guided through the emotion by Griff Rhys Jones, himself an angry man.

Coincidentally, I got angry at work today. I say coincidentally because I rarely outwardly display my anger.

I got angry with my IT supplier, I got angry with my colleagues, and I got angry with myself. I raised my voice, I got emotional in a meeting (in this case, as has been the case on occasions before, anger displayed itself as passion), and I was unnecessarily terse in my responses to people, both verbally and in emails.

While some of the anger was justifiably directed towards incompetence, some was a direct result of pressure and workload as we head towards a major software release this weekend.

Apologies if I offended anyone unjustifiably.

Comments

7 Responses to “Angry Dan”

1. Leo on September 23rd, 2008 22:32

So you are human after all, speaking as an outsider, welcome to the human race and the emotions we all have.

2. Mike on September 24th, 2008 09:59

There is nothing wrong with showing passion and emotion. Most of us are human after all, regardless of the job titles we generally play up to at work. However, reference the last word in your last sentence. Offending people can never be justifiable.

3. Dan on September 24th, 2008 10:49

I was careful in my crafting of that last sentence, Mike. And I disagree with your point.

If someone insults my family, I believe I am justifiable in my offensive retort. And I genuinely hope they take the offense as it was intended.

Likewise in the workplace, if someone tries to intentionally hide information that would otherwise help the project move forward, then I hope they take offense at my resultant rant. Not doing so likely means they’ll do the same again next time.

4. Steve on September 24th, 2008 16:05

I frequently get angry with your IT supplier so I daresay it was entirely justifiable ๐Ÿ™‚

5. roger on September 25th, 2008 05:01

thank goodness I was in Alnwick that day. As for your anger, hardly surprising. You might recall me getting angry last week for the same reasons.

6. CG on September 25th, 2008 18:28

All I can say Dan, Steve and Roger….Tut tut, behave now boys
    CG

7. Dan on October 4th, 2008 18:45

Leo: yes, human. What made you think I wasn’t?
    As for you, CG, get your colleagues to behave and we’ll behave likewise ๐Ÿ˜‰