The British weather: stop fucking whinging

I am royally fucked off with people whinging about the quality of the British summers. So I did some analysis.

I analysed the mean temperature at the Hadley Centre in Exeter. Every day from 1 January 1772 through 30 September 2011. 87,566 data points in total. I removed 29 February data to allow easier cross-year comparisons. And here are the results.

Thus far this year, the 2011 average daily temperature has been higher than the 238-year average on 152 (55.7%) of the 273 days of the year so far. Where the temperature was higher, it was higher by an average of 2.72C. Where it was lower, it was so by 1.40C. And so across all 273 days, the average daily temperature in 2011 was, on average, 0.95C higher than the historic average for that day.

If we limit the comparisons to the last 50 years, it’s much closer. Temperatures on 137 days of the days thus far have exceeded the average, those on the other 136 have been lower. But even taking that into account, the average temperature across all days has exceeded the average by an average of 0.58C.

If we limit analysis to summer months (which I’ve classified as April through September), then against the average we have been hotter this year on 50.8% of days (47.0% of those in the last 50 years). But across all days, our average daily temperature this year has exceeded the day’s average by an average of 0.73C (0.50C in the last 50 years).

So please. Stop fucking whinging.

Much credit to the Met Office for its lush dataset.

Comments

6 Responses to “The British weather: stop fucking whinging”

1. Steph Gray on October 2nd, 2011 22:37

In Exeter.

(The lucky, lucky, bastards…)

2. Gary Marston / PSFBuzz on October 6th, 2011 10:57

Ever considered contributing headlines/articles to the Daily Mash?

3. joe on October 14th, 2011 18:30

There is more to the weather than the tempreture. Winds, overcast/clouds, humidity. What good is it if its 24 degrees but you have an icy cold wind blowing in off the sea and nothing but clouds above.

Personally I hate the sun so I couldnt give a shit either way I was searching for pictures of the coast line and google brought me here.

4. Nick on December 24th, 2012 17:56

I suppose some people are not satisfied unless they are boiled to death, they all must be crazy.
    The problem is we don’t get proper seasons coz of the stupid gulf stream (or so they say)..
    I think the weather is being CONTROLLED..

5. John on July 2nd, 2013 13:54

All I can say is that you need to go back and re-examine your data mate. Because you have not included anything about the Maunder minimum, and if you look closely at historic records the Thames river use to freeze over solid. This happens every time there is a lack of solar activity in the form of sun spots etc. If you check out the data on the current solar maximum we have a huge lack of solar activity during this maxima. Moreover, you muppet, because you strike me as one with your “stop whinging comment” is that we are about to enter another minimal phase of solar activity, when this occurs what you see is a movement of the jet stream and as such you see the Siberian weather fronts move across Europe. What you are about to witness is another minima, which will last about 50ish years where we will see extreme winter weather here in the UK again…..HENCE why it is now very cold in July for this time of year and why the average sea temperature is 4 or 5 degrees below its seasonal average. so if you thought people were whining now you wait till the thames freezes over again. LOL you muppet.

6. Dan on July 2nd, 2013 13:59

All of the above can be true alongside the observations in the original blogpost of course, John. Take a look at the Met’s data (linked from the original post) and let me know which of the observations you believe to be inaccurate and I’ll happily revise anything that needs to be changed.

All the best,