Simon Yadav

I went to school with a boy called Simon Yadav. He was doubtless the most academically gifted kid in our year, and I expect he would have won that award had he been in any of the years above and below ours.

I remember him as a quiet, unassuming boy, hard-working, diligent and always happy to help others with their work. He excelled in sciences, maths in particular, and I remember vying with him and Liam Sutton for mathematical honours in our early senior school years, class 1C in particular.

As for Oxbridge, the only uncertainty with Simon was which of the two would be graced with his presence.

But Simon was murdered in Bradford Interchange on his way home from school one Wednesday, midway through his senior school career, cutting horribly short the life of someone with so much to offer, both academically and as a person.

I often think of Simon, and what he might be doing now had events been different. A search for his name in Google doesn’t yield any results that pertain to him. (This post will hopefully change that.) How things would have been different…

Comments

7 Responses to “Simon Yadav”

1. Liam Sutton on March 15th, 2012 09:51

Hi Dan,

Absolutely right. It’s hard to describe the loss of someone so gifted. I went to Oxford. I work in one of the country’s best universities now. Simon was simply at a different level.

I can only think of 1 or 2 people I’ve met who come anywhere near and, if their achievements are anything to go by, the impact of that day in October 1990 was and is, to use a 2012-ism, epic.

More than this, I was a friend of Simon’s and I remember the lightness with which he carried his gifts. I remember the generosity of him and his family in enriching the social life of a basically inept teenager who lived out of town. I wish he was still with us.

Cheers.

Liam
    ==

2. Peter on March 18th, 2012 21:05

Sorry meant to comment earlier. Liam said it quite nicely with “the lightness with which he carried his gifts”, which I’d have expressed as he was good at things (especially Maths) but never boasted about it.
    I remember his slightly shiny suit in the sixth form and the slightly oversized shoes/boots that went with it. Was he in the CCF as well?
    One puzzling aspect of him was his interest in Transformers, which seemed uncharacteristically childish. I think he did a GCSE project on the things.
    He was exceptionally gentle, friendly and bright – and I wouldn’t claim to have been one of his better friends. His brother was two years above us I think but isn’t it a shame he never got the chance to have a family of his own?
    I remember the numb feeling as many of us sat around in the KRB after hearing the news. A tragic loss, then as now.

3. David Willington on July 14th, 2012 09:23

Thanks for putting this post up. I was in Simon’s class in the 6th form and often think about him and have occasionally googled him. Everything that’s been said about him above is spot on. My outstanding memory of him comes from a further maths lesson in which one of our more enthusiastic teachers embarked on something so far off the syllabus it was untrue. 30 seconds in I’d lost track of what was going on, and everyone except Simon seemed to have been left behind at some point. The next half hour’s fairly hazy, but sometime later our teacher delivered his final conclusion, looked triumphant (if a little exhausted) only to have Simon pipe up and point out an incorrect assumption he’d made somewhere around the 10 minute mark. The poor chap looked thoroughly flumuxed.

For what it’s worth, I went on to read physics at Oxford, but at school I was outclassed (in the nicest possible way) by Simon.

4. Chris Richards on November 9th, 2012 22:02

I also went to School with Simon and for some reason he sprang to mind this evening and I had the urge to Google his name. Your blog page was the first result to come up.

He was a good bloke.

5. Charlie on June 6th, 2013 15:12

Interestingly I just googled Simon. I just heard another, similar, name mentioned and I thought of him.
    I didn’t know him but I remember the shock at the time. Similarly with another extremely gifted individual, William Foster Carter, both academically and as an athelete.
    I am sure his headstone is near my father’s (a former BGS Governor and the third truncated Bradfordian to complete this sad triumvirate) in Nab Wood cemetery – but I can never find it.

6. Paul on July 11th, 2015 03:13

I went to BGS with Simon. I was in the 2nd year with him. I remember him being very good at Maths. I remember him to be a very quiet but a very nice boy. Unfortunately I was kicked out of BGS, but was a changed boy at another school. I later did very well at Maths and Physics, read Physics at Uni and gained a Ph.D., and am now a professional physicist.

I remember hearing about Simon’s death during my lower 6th year, and I just couldn’t believe it. Something about being murdered in Bradford bus station? I never heard details, but I know he would never have provoked anyone. I’m guessing it was a mindless racial attack.

I turned my life around right at the time Simon was killed, and went on to have a rewarding life and I now have a family. All that was denied Simon, and it really makes you think.

Would the blogger mind providing some details of what happened (there’s nothing on the web)? I do hope the killer was caught and faced justice.

7. stewart spence on August 8th, 2016 04:55

I knew Robert Barraclough quite well. Seriously he wouldnt hurt a fly he was the epotime of life vigor and creataveness.It was horiffying to hear and quite distressing what had happened that day.. Ive tried to find any witness transcripts or even witness staements from the date of the offence and virtually nothing apart from a piece of editorial in the Yorkshire Post 1998 that he wrote a letter to Police admitting to a further murder. the events got hushed up. This is my fourth attempt so any you peoples have any clues to the silence would be helpful and much appreciated…. of course

Caio